Since last I wrote, I have finished school...bittersweet. For all my desire to be done and never come back, cffff(thanks to my cat), I felt a few moments of sorrow that these lives that I invested in I would not see come to fulfillment.
I gave each of them, as a parting gift, a white stone (really a river rock spray painted white which could serve as a paper weight later) with a new name written on it (see Rev. 2:17)--One side contained their name, but the other the meaning of their name and the potential they could live up to since according to Jeremiah 1:5 "Before I formed you in the belly I knew you; and before you came forth out of the womb I consecrated you" There names were not accidents! I reminded them that "A good name is rather to be chosen than great riches; and loving favor rather than silver or gold." (Proverbs 22:1) It was touching to see several of the kids walk around proudly showing their name/meaning to others and bragging about their potential. What a wonderful experience! I know leaving that school that 90% of the kids are not Christians and so what a fertile ground to share the Good News. I prayed to be able to do that everyday and may never know the results. I was just the seed sower, not the reaper, but...just as importantly used.
Many had severe emotional issues, many were challenging middle schoolers, but as I know Jesus loves and died on each of their behalfs, so I came to love each one in a unique way. So, I say that while I am so busy I have not noticed that I am in school no longer, and very thankful for oh so many reasons that I do not have to go back next year, it was a bit bittersweet at the end.
7th Grade Bunch
8th Grade Bunch (plus my four advanced 7th graders)
(Oh, and my mentor, boss, friend and strong campaigner who took all the brunt for me this past year is the fellow with the grinning face and blue shirt in each picture, Coach Len Shelby.)
2 comments:
marg
i still have your blog tracked on my RSS feed. good to hear you enjoyed your time with the kids and that they learned a little more about Him
peter
who is that hottie in the back row?
Post a Comment