As I was reading in my quiet time the day after Ike hit, these verses popped out at me.
Ephesians 5:8, 14, 20
“For you were once darkness, but now you are light in the Lord. Walk as children of light…Therefore He says: ‘ Awake, you who sleep, Arise from the dead, And Christ will give you light.’ …giving thanks always for all things to God the Father in the name of our Lord Jesus Christ.”
First, I realized how important light is to me. For those who have ever been without power for any extended period of time, you may be able to relate. Every afternoon around 5ish, I have found myself starting to get depressed. I know that a long evening (without light) is ahead of me. One evening while running the generator, someone in the other room had a light hooked up. I could only see the shallowest rays in my room, but the minute the generator turned off (and thus the light) I found my spirits plunging…Therefore, when I read Ephesians 5:8 and 14, I was so encouraged that in the midst of this time Christ will give me light…even if only in my spirit. He is light!
The latter verse (v. 20) was also an excellent reminder to me that I needed to refocus my thoughts and choose to dwell on the positives and thank the Lord for all of them rather than my current negative circumstances. We have so much to be thankful for:
- Most importantly, our whole family is safe and sound
- No major damage to our house
- We still have water—and hot water
- Our phone lines came back on again (a week earlier than the repairmen predicted)
- I am not pregnant and awaiting delivery still
- The cool weather!!!
- Windows that open
- All the money we are saving on electricity this month
- Living close enough to be able to walk to the grocery store
- A grocery store that is open despite running on a generator
- My parent’s forethought and generosity to get a generator
- God providing one of the last generators in Houston (literally tried 11 different places before finding this one at Sear’s, and there were only 6 or 7 more that were to arrive on a shipment later on Thursday…not even in stock when my dad bought it)
- A few open gas stations in our area
- A nice stroller to be able to walk the baby with—even through one foot water
- The receding of the bayou waters near our house (and NO flooding)
- A grill to cook meals on
- A sideburner on the grill (which we did not even want when purchasing)
- The Ike diet is helping me lose the extra baby weight I have still
- Friends who have offered W/D, A/C, gas, etc…
- Jigsaw puzzles while comforting a crying baby
- Lots of reading while comforting a crying baby
- Playing bridge with my parents while comforting a crying baby
- Creatively preparing meals without the stove and oven while comforting a crying baby
- Taking many very long walks while enjoying the quiet of a peaceful baby!
And where are we now? Waiting an indefinite period of time (some have said as long as another 1-2 weeks) to regain our power. God will have to continue to provide the strength each day for one day at a time.
7 comments:
I have been thinking about you guys and wondering how you survivied the storm. Hope you get life back to "normal" soon.
I am sorry that you still dont have power. We lost it for about 36 hours waaay up here. Crazy.
I'm sorry MD is crying so much. I just wanted to send you a hug. I know how crazy crying can make you. But just know that eventually it will get better. :) HUGS!!
I think you should come to my house on Friday. And if my winning personality isn't enough to convince you, I made cookies!
It is really tough not having power...especially at night! It is so easy to get down about it and I am constantly having to remind myself of all the blessings we have. Every night I go to bed thinking that maybe tomorrow will be the day!
So glad you have found things to be thankful for. I'm thankful that your photos are of other people's houses. Praying for your electricity to be restored and MD.
Hey Margaret...don't worry, the sleeping is a NEW thing! Give little MD a few months...he'll get there. Until then, enjoy every moment (even the difficult ones). Jackson is already raring up and not wanting to be held as much! They grow waaaaaay too fast. =( So...hold him as much as you can! Praying for you guys and hoping you will please let us know if we can be of any help to you. I really mean that.
Also, I love your look on the bright side!
Post a Comment