September 29, 2012. This particular evening at bedtime, Michael and I were reading the Bible to David as our normal bedtime procedure. After reading our story, we talked about Jesus' death on the cross for our sins. This is not the first time we have talked about this with David. I know he is young, but I never want to assume he is too young for us to share the gospel and Godly truths with him. Up until this evening, David had shown incomplete comprehension about his own sin and Jesus' sacrifice for him. He had even told us he did not want Jesus to live in his heart. This evening, however, David showed comprehension (on the level of a four year old). When we asked him if he wanted Jesus to come into his heart, he said "yes!" He told us he wanted to pray to ask Jesus into his heart. We prayed. While I am hesitant to declare this, I have a similar story with Godly parents who gave me an opportunity to know the Lord from earliest memories. I prayed to receive the Lord as my Savior very young as well, but even without the exact date and memory, I have never doubted Jesus' work on my behalf. I have the testimony of His changing work in my life since that early age. David's story will hopefully be not just a date but the beginning of a life-changing devotion to Jesus.
Since that time, he and I have had several conversations and he shows understanding of what he has done. He has talked often about God living in his heart. Here is one of the more humorous conversations:
"Mommy, I want to go outside."
"OK, feel free to go then."
"But there is no adult outside."
"That's OK. You will be fine out there."
"God is in my heart. God is an adult?"
Chuckle. "He sure is!"
David's first Bible verse that he memorized sums it up the best:
Matthew 19:14 "Let the children come to me."
1 comment:
So glad to hear that David prayed to receive Christ as Savior! Both of my girls did that at a young age. They are now 23 and nearly 17. Only the Lord knows the heart and the Bible talks in many places about coming to Christ with a childlike attitude. I'm reminded of Matthew 18:3&4. Blessings to you and your family, Lisa
Post a Comment