I well know that there is so much comfort and safety in boundaries, but I saw that truth played out in front of me this morning.
I took Abigail to the doctor this morning for her well baby 4 month visit. (see stats below) I used the usual double stroller. A in the front and E in the back. D gets to walk. This arrangement often causes problems but with three kiddos there really is no other option. E did unusually well in the stroller until she saw the nurse. (She remembers all too well what happens at this office.) it only got worse from there. When we got back to the room, and she realized it was not a visit for her, she momentarily calmed down. She wanted to get out of the stroller. I let her out. She yelled and wanted to get back in. David had meanwhile climbed in. I was trying to hold Abigail as well as read to David. David, unusually sweet, agreed to climb out again so E could get in. Even in the stroller again, E was just unhappy. She wanted her way and desperately needed a spanking, but it just was not possible in the doctor's office. I suddenly remembered that the stroller has a seatbelt and straps. Too often I try fighting with E to sit while we are walking. Too often I fight E as she tries to climb in and out of the stroller. I sat E down and strapped her in. Her screaming calmed to just a whine and then quiet. Why do I so often fight her when all she needs is the safety and security of boundaries?
Those stroller straps will get far more use from here on out!
A's stats: 25" (76%ile), 13 lbs. 6 oz. (43%ile), and a head circumference of 15.83" (27%ile).
2 comments:
I am so glad the stroller straps work for E. I know what a huge battle controlling them can be. I wish stroller straps had a calming affect on my crew.
It did that day! :)
Post a Comment