if you have never heard the expression "men are like waffles, women are like spaghetti", it refers to men compartmentalizing everything vs the woman who can be all over the place at once. I very quickly determined this was true as a general stereotype. I can multi-task far better than my counterpart. But this expression was taken to a whole new level by David.
He has been asking to be baptized for a while. We finally had our date with Pastor Scott. David is mature in the Lord in a way that few other kids his age are. He knows so much and can express it really clearly. However, I saw a different side to David that I have never seen the night he met with Pastor Scott. This was David (as in a typical school setting) with extreme test anxiety. He just started to squirm, check out and almost visually perspire. Despite Pastor Scott's conversational attitude, David felt like he was being tested and got incredibly flustered. When Pastor Scott asked David why he wanted to be baptized, David just sat there for a few minutes rolling his eyes up as if to recall. And then he says, "I know I put it in a drawer. But now I just have to find it." Pastor Scott took David's disconnection in stride but looked completely befuddled. Even I, as David's mother, was completely confused where that was coming from. I asked David what he was talking about (thinking he had changed the subject completely). He responded that he had put the information in a drawer in his mind but wasn't sure which one it was in!!! Talk about compartmentalized!!! And what a funny thing for him to say since we have NEVER referred to anything like that even remotely.
And then again yesterday when I was giving David his spelling words... "I put it in there and it fell down when I was looking for something," about how to spell the word football.
I just laugh thinking about it. I think the sides of his waffle "pockets" are especially high.
No comments:
Post a Comment