We had a "Count to 5" party a few weeks ago. This was our incentive for Abigail to finally care enough to learn to count to 5. At 4 years old you would imagine she could at least count to 4. False. At 2 years old she was counting to 3, but somewhere in there, the additional realization that there is a world of other numbers out there led to complete confusion and she regressed...counting only to 2 consistently. This plenty bright child just was not interested in learning despite a year and a half of going over her numbers. (however, this same child can repeat back long Bible verses weekly while the other two children stumble over the words)
As a bribe, I offered to make her a pink strawberry cake if she could learn to count to 5 consistently. We worked on it multiple times a day. Once she got down the first five, she could keep going to 11. Amazing!
She was consistently counting to five and beyond so I made the cake. We had a party celebrating the milestone, and then the time came. I pulled out the camera to film her and here is what I got upon counting the 5 candles, "1, 2, 3, 4, 6!" Of course!
Needless to say, she still got her cake and got to eat it too. And now she is counting just fine (most days). Maybe by Kindergarten she will recognize some letters too....
No comments:
Post a Comment