It's been a year since I last posted my book list. Oops! But I have been reading...This is as much for my own sake (ADW--booklists!)
from last year forward...
Pilgrim's Progress, Retold for the Modern Listener by John Bunyan
A great classic outlining a Christian's daily walk in allegory format. Amazing to listen to it as an adult because the analogies make so much more sense now. But even my 10 year old son loves this book and "gets" it. 4/5 stars
Home Sweet Motel by Chris Grabenstein
We kicked off last summer with lots and lots of kids audio books and puzzles (as well as the other outdoor activities). This one is the first in the Welcome to Wonderland Series. We liked Mr Lemoncello books so we checked out this series by the same author. This isn't quite as clever but still amusing to listen to. PT Wilkie is attempting to save his family's motel from the debt collectors through a series of wild and wacky ideas. 4/5 stars
Beach Party, Surf Monkey by Chris Grabenstein
A sequel in the Welcome to Wonderland series. This book is following the same characters as they attempt to convince a film crew to produce their movie at the Wonderland Motel. A bit far-fetched. Not as gentle and overall a bit of a disappointment as a sequel. 3/5 stars
The Delusion by Laura Gallier
Honestly, this is not my normal genre of books. I was hesitant reading it because I don't generally like supernatural fiction...especially modern fiction. But I was hosting a Bible study using this book as the foundation and the authoress herself would be making an appearance. I figured I better get a head start because it might take me a while to get through any reading at this stage of life. But once I started the book, I couldn't put it down. I finished the whole book in just a few days (again, at this stage of life, that is amazing). The book is written to appeal to the teenager but it can be read by adult alike. It tells the fictional account of a boy who wakes up one morning and can see the demonic forces at work all around him and the literal chains that people wear. His high school is under heavy attack with many of his friends committing suicide. This is his journey of acknowledging and then coming to understand what is happening. Like Pilgrim's Progress, this is a heavy allegory laden story. Unfortunately, it is far more real than just allegory...I have recently seen news article after news article about teenage suicide epidemics. This book addresses far more than just suicide though. It addresses the evil in all our hearts. And yet gives a message of hope-- finally understood at the end of the book. The book definitely pulls you in. It is not preachy at all. It is a book that has already worked phenomenally to save lives (as shared by my friend Rachael Donahoe, who coauthored a Bible study "4 Freedom" that goes along with the book). Similar in style to the Peretti books that came out in the 90s...with a more modern twist. And even though I dreaded wading into the supernatural world of evil, I did not find it oppressive. Although I left with a burden for those without hope, especially teens. There is a sequel coming. 4/5 stars
The Bad Beginnings (a Series of Unfortunate Events #1) by Lemony Snicket
In an effort to find more series that the kids and I could listen to, I decided to start this very long series. The book is written in my usual preferred style. There is lots of clever word usage and a somewhat British form of expression. I really wanted to like it. However, the storyline is one in which the Baudelaire children are faced with one "unfortunate" event after another. And "unfortunate" is putting it mildly. I found the story line with Count Olaf disturbingly creepy as he planned to marry one of the young children. Fortunately, my kids are naive, but it had all the makings of child sex slavery. I gather from folks that this first book is the only one in that vein and there might be potential, but I decided to discontinue this series because I didn't want to dwell on all the evil and unwholesome events that were (reader be forewarned) going to happen for the next 12 books. 3/5 stars
The Medusa Plot (39 Clues: Cahills vs Vespers, #1) by Gordon Korman
Another attempt at finding a new series. We also listened to this one on audiobook while doing puzzles. I did not realize that although this is the first book in this series, the series is a continuation of another series. I felt a bit like I jumped in without the benefit of knowing the backstory. The book tracks some children who are responsible for tracking clues to save the rest of their family from destruction by a warring family. The evil is pretty evil but fortunately it does not dwell on it for too long. Still not a good book for a younger child. I found the story fast moving and rather intriguing, but I would prefer to start at the beginning of the beginning. I want to give it a second book before I would stamp any approval to it because it is just a bit dark. 3/5 stars
Mr Lemoncello's Great Library Race by Chris Grabenstein
This is one I was prepared to enjoy. I have enjoyed all the Mr. Lemoncello books. (albeit a bit more "modern" than the lovely ones I grew up with). It wasn't quite as good as the first one, but still a fun read. The original kids are running through town trying to gather facts about famous Americans. And along the way find themselves attempting to exonerate Mr. Lemoncello himself. I did find this book a bit harder to listen to in audio format though. The picture rebus is a bit hard to explain on audiobook etc... Nevertheless, wild and wacky. Wonkaish. 4/5 stars
Without Warning by Joel Rosenberg (JB Collins series #3)
I finally got to the final book in the JB Collins series. At the time of this blog post, it is close to year since I read it. I honestly can't remember much about this book. And even rereading the storyline summation (war with ISIS, attempting to protect America from imminent attack), I still don't recall any details. Perhaps that is why I rated it 3/5 stars on Goodreads a year ago? I normally love the Rosenberg books, but this one was more forgettable. Hah! 3/5 stars
Anchored: Finding Hope in the Unexpected by Kayla Aimee
This was an audiobook I received as part of a group of cds on bargain deal through ChristianAudio. I planned to go through all of them even though I might not have ordered this one individually. It is the autobiography of a mom who brings a micro premie into the world. It gives insight into the great trials that so many people go through. But above all, it shows God's hope and "anchor" in the midst of great storms. I really liked Kayla Aimee as I grew to know her through her story. There is plenty of humor to balance out the heavy subject. 4/5 stars
Unashamed by Lecrae Moore
Another book that came as part of a Biography bundle. Again, probably would not have picked this one individually. I had not even ever heard of Lecrae. Perhaps that is because I have been living under a rock, but more likely because I never listen to rap music. Lecrae gives his story of how he came from a very difficult background. He made bad choices which ultimately led to an attempted suicide. And yet, when he finally submitted to the hope found in Jesus Christ, his life changed radically. He was clear to give the credit to Jesus. He is now a man on a mission to bring the same hope to a very lost world through wholesome messages in rap music. I couldn't be more different from him in upbringing and yet, I really appreciated his humility and dependence on the Lord. Definitely not a book I would let a younger child read...too many really hard topics addressed. I am glad I read it though. It was a surprise. A testimony to God's redemptive work! 3/5 stars
The Incredible Adventures of Professor Branestawm by Norman Hunter
This book is actually one that David picked out to read from the library. It is juvenile fiction but like many British authors of yesteryears, it is written for a more mature group of children. I found the book hilarious. It is definitely British humor. The professor is an absentminded inventor who is always getting into outlandish scrapes that often are ridiculously farfetched, but I laughed out loud with several of them. 5/5 stars
Lessons from San Quentin by Bill Dallas
This was once again, an audio book that came bundled. Bill Dallas was a wildly successful up-and-coming young man who was caught on embezzlement charges that through a series of God-ordained events, landed him in a maximum security prison. He tells a bit of his story but the majority of the book read like a self-help book with lessons he had learned. While he gives a nod to his walk with God, so much of the book is focused on secular lessons and very little tribute is given to the Lord's work. Unlike Lecrae in Unashamed, Bill Dallas takes the focus off the Lord and puts it onto man. Two men in different circumstances but coming to know Christ after similar starts to life. One put the whole focus on God's redemption. The other on good habits. Not worth the read. 2/5 stars
The Mediterranean Caper by Clive Cussler
I have enjoyed the other Clive Cussler books I have read. They are normally good action novels with fun twists. This is one of his first books. I would have never guessed. It is very risque for such an early work. And fortunately, his writing does improve in the later books. This was not the all-engrossing adventure that the later ones have been. I probably could have skipped it in favor of a better book. 2/5 stars
The Children of Green Knowe by LM Boston
An audio book I listened to with the kids. Once again, it is a British author and written quite nicely. But the story was strange. It could have been fairytale-like, similar to E. Nesbit. But it fell flat. It was about a three children who move to their great-grandmother's haunted and magical house. I felt that the plot was weak, and I kept waiting for a semi-explainable resolution. The book takes a fantasy/sci-fi turn and is rather absurd yet creepy in its conclusion. The British charm did not make up for the bizarre ending. 3/5 stars
Almighty is His Name by Randy Clark
This is the story of SoPhal Ung, a Cambodian missionary pastor who lived under the Vietnamese occupation. He was arrested and imprisoned for his faith, but he persisted. He eventually fled with his family. I have read many books in similar vein during a similar time period. This was not the most impactful I have read, perhaps because this is a biography rather than autobiography. Even so though, it was full of God's mercies and miracles. 4/5 stars
Ten Days Without by Daniel Day
This story fascinated me and caused me to think. But Daniel's goal is not just to prompt thought but action. He tells of his journey to empathize with and promote various causes. He spends ten days going without something: shoes (to help diseases throughout the world--I never thought about the shoeless in the bathroom or other equally squalid places), a coat (to help homelessness), furniture (to show poverty around the world), speech (to help those in modern-day slavery), touch (to help those who are "untouchable" in society), walking (to help the disabled), trash (to be a good steward of our environment), and media (to show how distracted we are). He provides good information for how to proceed to help in these areas. Many of these, I admit, I take for granted. It gave me a good look into the many blessings I have and prompted me to thank the Lord. This book was also eye-opening for my very privileged children. 4/5 stars
Steel Will by Shilo Harris
An autobiography of a soldier who was struck by an IED and burned over very large percentages of his body. Shilo tells of his growing up and his early years of marriage before the life-changing event happened. His description of the explosion itself and the hellish aftermath are not for the faint of heart. But I really appreciated it because it brought the gravity to the situation and made me understand PTSD for the first time. He also talks about caregiver exhaustion. While Shilo talks about how his wife brought him into the church, Shilo did not discuss a relationship with the Lord until mid-3/4 way through. And even then, I was a bit disappointed because he summarized his story with a discussion on an abiding love. I was waiting for him to talk about the love of his heavenly Father, but instead he talked about his wife. I agree his wife shows an unfailing, unconditional love, but what a missed opportunity to bring even greater glory to the Lord. Still, for me, very impactful for the first-hand look into a soldier's traumatic life. 3/5 stars
Love Lives Here by Maria Goff
I had never heard of the Goffs when I started this book. In fact, it wasn't until after I finished it that I learned that her husband has written a best-seller first and recent second book. This book is a collection of life stories, rather scattered, and the lessons that Maria learned through them. I am quite a different personality from Maria (probably more like her husband) so several of the lessons weren't as striking to me, but I admire her attitude of willingness to reflect, even on the hard things. "...in the sinking, where we find our rescue. Like Peter it's getting beneath the surface that lets us realize our absolute need for a Savior." Her story of her burned down house brought back memories and emotions of our flood not too long ago. Her challenge to "go be your family, not someone else's" was a good reminder. 3/5 stars
The Magnolia Story by Jo and Chip Gaines
I wasn't sure what to expect with this book. The extreme fandom that Jo and Chip have earned (at least among some circles) could have revealed two very different people. But I felt this was a very good glimpse into who Chip and Jo really are, flaws and all, and the mighty God who used many miracles to place them where they are now. I listened to this on audio so Chip narrates his part and Jo hers in a conversational style; you almost feel like you are sitting with them over coffee. I found it fascinating to hear more about their life growing up. I can relate to Jo in so many ways and admire Chip more after reading this. I am married to a milder version of Chip so I most appreciated the way Jo gulped but then completely supported her husband in all his hair-brained ventures. I was convicted to do the same. She challenges the reader to not just survive but thrive in the season they're in. I appreciated her quiet but definitive tribute to the Lord's presence in her life. She describes how He has been guiding them all along. I loved this book! 5/5 stars
The Long Lost Home by Maryrose Wood
The final book in "The Incorrigible Children of Ashton Place" series. While this book does wrap up all the loose ends, it was not as winsome, nor as unexpected and clever as many of the earlier ones in the series. So many of the loose ends were already beginning to be explained in the book before it. I still love the fictional accounts of how expressions came to be (like a "bun in the oven") and the other use of words by Maryrose Wood. And despite being a bit predictable, it was a good conclusion to the fun series. 4/5 stars
The Penderwicks by Jeanne Birdsall
I saw this young adult book and mistakenly believed it to be an old-fashioned story from yesteryear. It does read that way a bit, but the children in the story are not nearly as sweet to each other as older stories. They also describe a tv in the book at one point. It is almost charming, but too modern. And the lack of respect for authority (despite how rotten the adults are) definitely puts it in the present day. Not dreadful but not worth continuing in the series. 3/5 stars
In the midst of at least 5 more books right now....perhaps I will remember to post on these reads sooner rather than later. :)





















No comments:
Post a Comment