As we undertake to keep up with the rest of the world and technology... we will attempt to keep our thoughts penned regularly for you here on our blog. Most importantly, we would like this to be a reflection of the love of our Faithful Saviour, Jesus Christ.

Thursday, April 30, 2020

one shy of fifty (in two parts)

I may not have done so well in blogging this past year (lots of good intentions to catch up this summer...), but I have been escalating my reading... In fact, since last August, I have read 49 books!

Broken down by genre.  I have put a lot of my blatherings down here since I am using this as my journal of what I want to remember from each book.  I will further break this down into two blogs,  2019 end of year and 2020 first four months.  

Kids books--

Nicolaus Copernicus, the Earth is a Planet--by Dennis Brindell Fradin.  We read this as a supplement to our CC this year.  Interesting book.  Read to the kids.  Better for older elementary but pictures were enough to keep their attention.  4/5



The Patchwork Girl of Oz-- by L. Frank Baum.  One of my favorites of the oz books. The humor is hilarious! All the favorite characters show up. And the hero is flawed but repentant. There is a lot of (likely unintended) Christian symbolism.  4/5



The Road to Oz--by L. Frank Baum.   Readers meet most of the previous characters from the other Oz books in this journey to the Emerald City as well as a few new characters including Santa Claus. There was almost no plot at all. I listened to this on audiobook and the voices of several of the characters were so grating (shaggy man turned donkey, the musical man— forget his proper name, and even Dorothy was high pitched and shrill) I would have turned it off had not my girls wished to finish the story. But even they weren’t overly impressed with the plot. Definitely not a favorite.  2/5


Preteen/Teen readers--

The Cross of Lead-- by Avi.  Picked up as a suggested reading for this years cycle of cc. Kids and I listened to it on audiobook. I gather the author is quite prolific. This book is a period piece during the medieval times. It focuses around a boy who is orphaned and finds himself running from powerful men who declared him a “wolf’s head,” (fugitive allowed to be killed by whoever finds him). Along the way, the boy finds a most unexpected protector and father-figure. Meanwhile, as an adult, it was pretty apparent from the get-go who his real father is, but that mystery unfolds along the way too.
The language is a bit demanding for younger kids but later elementary or middle graders who like historical stories should enjoy it. There is the topic of his illegitimate birth, but it is handled pretty tactfully. Overall, a pretty good book. Will check out a few others by the author.  4/5



Fake Mustache-- by Tom Angleberger.  Very preposterous. At times funny. Other times it was just full of dumb middle school humor.  3/5



The Player King- by Avi.  Read this to preview another book from this author before letting my son read them. Like Crispin, by the same author, it is written with rather large, old- fashioned vocabulary which I enjoyed but which might frustrate struggling readers.
The book tells a true tale with some fictional elaboration of a boy who pretended to be rightful heir to the English throne. Uncertain at first, the character decides to embrace his role and even abuse it. He who thinks himself king, is one. He does show some signs of remorse after abasing and shaming others but I would have loved to have seen this topic more distinctly addressed. He also questions his spiritual soul, and there are no answers given for that “emptiness” in this book.
But overall, I found it an interesting book with a good reminder that truth is truth no matter how play-acting is masked. Also opportunities for lessons in humility.  4/5



The Case of the Peculiar Pink Fan-- by Nancy Springer.  A rather peculiar (pun intended) book. Never read any of her others--#4 in a series. These are mysteries solved by 15 year old Enola Holmes, Sherlock’s sister. The mystery itself wasn’t so mysterious. One could see from the get-go where it was headed. The book also has an odd subplot about the relationships between Sherlock, MyCroft, and Enola. The mother who disappeared also played a part in the story. The book has a decidedly un-old fashioned women’s empowerment message. Overall, so-so. Not great, not horrible.  3/5



**Horton Halfpott--by Tom Angleberger.  Loved this quirky tale! So reminiscent of PG Wodehouse (from whom I’m sure the author took inspiration since he referenced one of Wodehouse’s main characters in the book). All turns out well in the end but not without mishap after mishap. Each chapter is but a page or two and so easy to read. Character description is key with all sorts of perfect words applied to each. Hoping there are more like this book.  5/5



Christian Living-- 

Introverted Mom-- by Jamie C. Martin. Never thought of myself as introverted until last year or two. Recommended to me by another friend who is definitely not the stereotypical introvert either. I agree by description in the book I probably am an introverted mom but aren’t most moms? We all get exhausted by evening time if you are a stay-at-home mom. And the noise!!! Etc. I am still trying to decide whether I’m an outgoing introvert or a contemplative/introspective and exhausted extrovert. But one thing that did resonate a lot with me was the “highly sensitive people” definition. I definitely think I have quite a bit of that in me whether extroverted or introverted. (UPDATE:  The covid-19 "Stay Home" orders have clarified this matter completely.  I am definitely an introvert who refreshes in the quiet and doesn't mind not being around people, except for a few close friends.  )
Definitely some good stuff but the book felt a bit like a feel-good cheerleader style book rather than the kind kick-in-the-pants book I often prefer. If you are experiencing guilt as a mom, this book is for you. If you are dealing poorly as an introverted mom to extroverted kids and know you shouldn’t be, this book may not be the challenge you need to change. While I definitely find myself frustrated when my kids break into my introspections with bickering from the backseat, I also know that I am still responsible for my response. I appreciated a few of the reader’s practical suggestions for how they handle the introverted mom— ex. building in a completely open day into my week. I do this unconsciously and feel much happier to have at least one day a week like this. But appreciated the conscious reminder of why this is important for me.
I also needed to hear that not all opportunities need to be seized or lost forever. She discusses tossing them back to the Lord by faith for a later time. I do often struggle with the guilt of missing opportunities and thus push myself beyond the point of wisdom without quiet refreshment.  3/5



The Road Back to You-- by Ian Morgan Cron.  Unlike other personality tests, the enneagram is focused not just on positive character traits but on the negatives and weaknesses. This particular book is written from a Christian perspective so the weaknesses— even identified as sins at times in this book— are pinpointed in order to recognize them when we fall into them, in an effort to avoid them in the first place.
The author (and narrator of the audiobook) is a former pastor with his own weaknesses.
After an introduction, each chapter addresses one of the 9 enneagram personality numbers: 20 sentences that describe the number, healthy number attributes, normal attributes, unhealthy personality traits based on that number, description of that number as a child, that number in the work world, the variations with optional wings, taking on negatives from which other number, moving to positive of which number, the deadly sin of the number, examples of individuals who are that number, and final takeaways.
I read the book with the intention to identify myself as well as better understand my kids and husband. One child was pretty easy to identify. The two others, I am a bit uncertain. My husband was harder than expected. He is a #6 loyalist but only to an extent. Definitely has other characteristics in himself too. And myself? I really couldn’t decide. I suppose a #1 perfectionist but I am not a true perfectionist and see myself, both faults and strengths, in quite a few of the numbers. I never seemed to relate to more than about half of the first 20 descriptive sentences for any number.
The Holy Spirit definitely changes us and enables us to be at our healthiest. As we mature, the premise of this book tells us we should be interconnected with and reflect all the various personality numbers.
Overall, probably a fad. But there are some interesting concepts. I struggled to apply the numbers across the board to anyone but I could still pick and choose bits and pieces of each number to identify and address.  4/5



Simply Tuesday-  by Emily P. Freeman.  Hadn’t deleted this audiobook from my device after reading— normally do— and so forgot six months later that I had finished the book. Restarted it midway through. Found the same things catching me the second time around. Only, under different circumstances in my life. Even more apropos.
Emily Freeman describes “ordinary living” by using the definition of “ordinal- to count.” Ordinary days “count.” “What gives moments meaning, is not the moments themselves, but the presence of Christ with us in the midst of them.” Such an encouragement for me right now with so much uncertainty in our future.
And the smallness of life can be such a gift— so freeing. The striving for excellence in myself can be a sin when I am striving for control, performing for my acceptance. Christ does not call us to excellence but to Himself. Such freedom in not holding on to the outcome of our work... “We can plant, but we can’t grow.” We are not important because of the big and important things we do but because someone big and important is with us. “Success isn’t in believing we can do anything but knowing I can do nothing.” (Ragamuffin gospel) We are only responsible for our “8 foot assignments” that God gives us... not to control the world. I laugh, even as I write this. Do I really think I can control the world? No!!! But how often do I live like it?!?! And maybe the answer is not to try and find the light but to face the darkness and know He is sufficient there too. Clarity can be a nicer word for control. “Am I worshiping clarity? If I always had clarity, why would I need faith?”
A similar message to The Ragamuffin Gospel that I just finished but so tender and sweet in its approach. Such a good read for those struggling to accept smallness and insecurities. Christ is glorified in these!  4/5


Biography--

Love Casts Out Fear: A Jihad Survivor’s Journey from Revenge to Redemptionby Brother Nathan.  The message of redemption and reconciliation is amazing. I loved how the author, full of great humility, pointed everything back to the Lord’s glory. His message is that only through the love of Christ will there ever be true peace and forgiveness. His life is a testimony of this.   4/5



This Life I Live-- by Rory Feek.  An easy read with chapters only a page or two. You start the book with glimpses of the end but the story only unfolds along the way. I appreciated hearing his tale of maturing in the Lord. His story was not an easy one. And he delves into past sin in his life with openness— not for immature audiences. He talks about how he is ”famous for loving his wife.” He definitely honors her in this book. Part of me wonders how much is romanticized after the fact (the way we often do) but it is also his way to honor her. I especially appreciated his acknowledgement of God’s sovereignty and orchestration of even the little details— for example the music video that he and his wife did two years before she passed away “when I’m gone”. He said he realized God must have known he would need to hear those words from her years later.  3/5



Upstanders: Season 2-- by Howard Schultz.  Appreciated the first story of a Dallas chef who started a restaurant almost entirely run by juvenile convicts. Was amazed that such liberal outlets as amazon and Starbucks would tell such a story without the usual liberal bent and what appeared to perhaps even have Christian origins. But then it went downhill from there. I almost turned it off at various points and wouldn’t have missed anything but I kept waiting for more inspiring stories. The bravery of some of the folks was admirable but liberal agenda after liberal agenda was pushed. LGBTQ, climate change, etc. 2/5



****Fire Road- by Kim Phuc Phan Thi.  This is one of the best autobiographies I have read in a while. Every element points to God. There are very graphic elements in the aftermath of a napalm bombing, but they are the bedrock for Gods good in Kim’s life. She even says, “Had my suffering actually been the catalyst for bringing me into God’s kingdom?...those bombs led me to Christ.” She acknowledges that her pain and Gods ultimate plan went hand in hand. Such a testimony!
Constant reminder that it is the Lord, not man, who provides.
And more hard words at the end as she talked about how she parented her boys. With love reflected from her eyes and expression rather than anger and disgust at the foolishness or disobedience of children. Her intentionality to smile and be pleasant when everything cries out otherwise. And training her children to extend love and forgiveness for those who have hurt them as an act of faith that God is in the midst of the situation and working all out for good.
What a worthwhile read!!! 5/5




Fiction--

One Year After-- by William Forstchen.  A follow up to the more interesting One Second After. The first book explored the extent we depend on our modern electricity and conveniences. And the chaos and instability that ensues when they are removed. This book focuses more on the danger of federal government overstepping its bounds in the wake of the previous book.
This book may be called One Year After but it actually starts two years later. As it had been several years since I read the first book, I had to be reintroduced to all the characters and guess at what occurred previously. There was almost too much referencing of the first book but without enough details to catch me back up.
The depravity of mankind left on his own is shown in full effect (albeit maybe a tiny bit less than the first book). My favorite bit was the very tiny, tiny snippet on one page where we are introduced to a nameless character who responds out of the ordinary while dying. She only has two lines but it is quite apparent she is a Christian who has peace in the midst of the strife. I don’t know that the author is a believer and it is definitely not a significant part to any of the story, but it touched me as the only real ray of hope in this book— found in Jesus Christ.
The book felt a bit like a tirade against big, bad government. And while I personally am a states-rights advocate, it was a bit too stereotyped to feel genuine.
That being said, the storyline in this book could unfold in my lifetime.
My other larger complaint was the writing. The sentences were often awkward and confusing. I found myself rereading much of it a couple of times to gather the import. And as I mentioned previously, there were a lot of assumptions made without clearly spelling out what or who was being discussed.
Seeing how there is only one more in the series, I intend to read it but with a bit less enthusiasm after reading this second book.  3/5



The Final Day-- by William Forstchen.  This is the third and final in the “One Second After” series, and like the second one, the story is more focused on a fictional plot than likely reality— even reaching a bit. This one is focused on political ramifications: motivations, corruption, etc. There is a lot of reminiscing/philosophizing for pages and pages in the beginning. Almost as if the author didn’t expect you to have read the previous books and was running short on plot information. I didn’t feel it developed the characters any. The main character is the same throughout the three books while many of the other primary characters, once again, died. There is a lot of crude language and subject matter, albeit in context. The reality? The inherent sin nature in all man is evident even in the “good guys.”
The sentence structure was very awkward regularly and I found myself rereading about half the book to understand the sentences. At other times, the plot was even a bit confusing due to the poor writing.
All together, I wouldn’t recommend this book. Nonfiction fans will find it just fictional fluff, and fiction lovers may struggle with the story flow. Not a complete waste of time but, meh?  3/5



Best Kept Secret (Clifton Chronicles #3)- by Jeffrey Archer.  No comments made on this book.  A continuation of the others.  Similar in style.  Better than the final ones in the series.  4/5



Be Careful What You Wish For (Clifton Chronicles #4)--by Jeffrey Archer.  Same notes as above.  4/5


No comments: