My grandmother lives in Montrose, on the Western slope of Colorado, about 1 hour from Telluride. We spent a relaxing week with her and some time with my aunt and uncle who also live there.
Montrose is a city that is built in a plain among the mountains. See below. I guess this is part of the reason it feels so completely remote!
The airport was tiny...probably the smallest I have ever been to (and that tops Huntsville, AL and Lexington, KY!)
My beautiful grandmother (mom's mom) and her precious, lame, deaf dog Honey.
My grandmother's house has a very large yard, a glimpse of the mountains and some beautiful sunsets. (look at all the snow!)
The first day there, we visited the Ute Indian Museum...much of the heritage in that area is bound up with Indian tribes.
My grandmother drove us around Montrose pretty extensively (I think population about 18,000)
We were ever on a quest for beautiful barns (sorry, Grandma :)) I have made a "Barns" calendar for Michael for the past several Christmases and needed some new photo subjects. Michael likes the old, falling-apart barns best. (harder to find in CO- still many picturesque though) We glimpsed some beautiful countryside in the process.
One of the clearer days, we visited my aunt for lunch in their house up on the mesa. The house is beautiful and sits on 64 (I think) acres complete with deer, family goats, greenhouse, and solar panels along with every other gadget that keep the house running entirely off the grid.
Another day, we headed to Ridgeway and Ouray (up into the mountains) to glimpse these two tiny mountain towns.
While it was fun for a week, I fear I am not cut out to be a mountain woman.
3 comments:
Looks beautiful! Hope that y'all had a great time. Kim
It looks like you both had a great trip. Love all that snow!
I loved the tour of your wonderful grandmother's homeplace! What a different world from Houston!
Post a Comment