I know one of the hardest things I experienced after the flood was in the weeks after the flood...the weeks when everyone else was moving on with a "normal" life and had all but forgotten the crisis. Four weeks after the flood, we were still sitting in a house without sheetrock, flooring, trim, and furniture.
This is not the first time I have experienced this emotion. I had the same feelings after hurricane Ike. Our power was out for 15+ days. Many were out of power for hours. Most for only days. Life moved on without me. Yet I was still without power and struggling.
And even before that...our time of infertility. Life was moving on around us while I was still hurting.
God has blessed me with these hardships in order to comfort others with the comfort I have been given--
Praise be to the God and Father of our Lord Jesus Christ, the Father of compassion and the God of all comfort,who comforts us in all our troubles, so that we can comfort those in any trouble with the comfort we ourselves receive from God.
2 Corinthians 1:3-4
I can feel the emotions. Yes, God was gracious to provide us with three special children, but I haven't moved on. I still cry for those who are longing for a child. God has been using my struggles to teach me compassion--compassion that flows over into all areas, not just personal difficulties. I frequently think of people who have lost parents and spouses. Weeks later, meals may not be coming and the phone stops ringing. But the pain is still present. Years later, there will still be moments of sorrow. God has reminded me to pray for individuals when they come to mind.
I know how easy it is to forget. This memorial weekend with the danger of flood waters yet again advancing I found myself focused narrowly on my own problems. True, I hurt for those who were flooded in the past two days, but my focus had not extended beyond the city limits. I suddenly woke up again to remember what this holiday represents-- more heavy hearts and suffering. Each man and woman who died defending us leaves behind a sorrowful family. A family that likely grieves each year on this day. May I never get too focused on my own heartache that I forget. Life may move on but you are not forgotten.
Even when I fall short, I am so glad we have a God who is always gracious, compassionate and loving!
“Can a mother forget the baby at her breast and have no compassion on the child she has borne? Though she may forget, I will not forget you! Isaiah 49:15
2 comments:
I've thought about you all with this continuing rain and have been praying for you. Thank you for sharing and encouraging me in the faith!
God bless and keep you and your family,
Lisa
Very thoughtful post. Love your insight about the world moving on and being left with unresolved sorrow. I hope that this week will be bring a new beginning and the end of reconstructing even if the emotional pain is remembered forever.
Post a Comment