As we undertake to keep up with the rest of the world and technology... we will attempt to keep our thoughts penned regularly for you here on our blog. Most importantly, we would like this to be a reflection of the love of our Faithful Saviour, Jesus Christ.

Friday, November 30, 2007

~Spontaneity~

Well...spontaneity is not my middle name...in fact, it is way on down the list. I am usually a big planner/researcher.

So, it came as quite a shock (even to me) when I decided on my birthday (Nov.13th--Tues. this year) to fly to Alabama on Wednesday to visit some friends. (yes, this was the next day!) I hurriedly reworked my schedule and packed some clothes. This had been a far distant thought in my mind for a while, but it came to life when one of my best friends there told me her husband was traveling for a week and it would be a great time to come! I found tickets for the same price as usual and took off the next day for a five day jaunt...

I was quickly reminded about how beautiful it is there in Huntsville (Northern Alabama). The trees were magnificent in all colors and I could not stop taking pictures of them. If one tree looks much the same as another to you, just don't tell me. :)

They had a leaf blower in the church parking lot which created a magnificent scene of swirling leaves!

And here...we discovered that we really were seeing life through rose colored glasses. Kristina and I both had polarized glasses which made the colors even more magnificent. Here is a comparison below.

As seen with the naked eye

Taken through my "rose colored" glasses

I visited two dear friends, Kristina and Laura...

K and I used to go for long walks...we picked right back up and enjoyed the beautiful weather!

Her sweet daughter Emma riding a tricycle

and her baby son Alexander (dressed in his monkey suit :) )

Emma strikes a pose

We even fed the ducks!

We went to the ROC (our church's Recreation Center), and I finally got to meet Marcy, another of K's friends, whom I have heard so much!

She has two children, Maryn and Tate.

I couldn't help but include a few pictures of the two adorable (and oh so sweet) children!

Emma is wearing her innertube around the house

Playing with the "Princess" paper dolls I bought Emma.

Right before the lower lip got stuck out

Emma's 3 yr. old side comes out

My 3 yr. old side comes out too!

K took me to the new "Bridge Street" mall (for those from Texas, a perhaps pretty version of the Woodlands riverwalk area) It is still only halfway open, but the Christmas decorations were fun and it was interesting to see how chic the stores were. Pretty temperature, not so pretty with the lack of sunshine. (imagine this on a sunny day!)And yes, that tree really is that tall!

Our first attempt at a self-portrait!

Fountains everywhere... And there even was a carousel

Time to say goodbye to K for several days and hello to Laura (my sinus infected, bronchitis infected friend :) )

She and I went to the Schuster's (mutual friends) house for dinner. We had homemade pizza and watched Ocean's 13.

The next day we went to church (at our old church--we know each other from church) I got the opportunity to say hello to old friends, but it also reminded me how thankful I am to be here in Houston! Our church is so alive, our Sunday school class is fantastic, we have lots of friends here, we have been here for family as various family members have needed us over the past 2 years, and most exciting, I have seen my husband grow in a way that I have not seen at once in many years! He has been given the opportunity to lead, and he has flourished! He is also counseling at the Crisis Pregnancy Center here and has really grown through that too...He has been successful at work and received his long awaited raise and promotion and even more...the P.E. license that he sought after for years. I have so much to be thankful for living here!

Sunday afternoon, Laura and I went downtown to the craft fair. We took a walk to Big Spring Park. She even took me by our old house...

We went back to the Schuster's house for dinner and had yummy fried chicken and mashed potatoes.

Me, Laura, and Melissa

The following day, was Monday, the day I left. Laura and I met Kristina (and family) at the Chick-Fil-A for lunch and play time.

He's not Just My Daddy, He's My Hero

Laura playing hide and seek with Emma

a pretty common sight while on the trip (and I don't mean her belly)

I have to include two last parting shots of Huntsville.

Where would we be without the NASA space needle? And the incredibly easy airport?

The trip was wonderful...both as a mirror to show how happy I am here and as an incredible time of friendship and sharing!

1 comment:

Cindy said...

And I'm thankful you're in Houston, too. Glad you had a nice time with your friends.