In medicine, body water is all of the water content of the human body. A significant fraction of the human body is water. Lean muscle tissue contains about 75% water. Blood contains 95% water, body fat contains 14% water and bone has 22% water.
If according to Wikipedia, my muscle contains 75% water and my fat 14%, I am probably at 90% and 50%. I know many of you pregnant/past pregnant mammas can relate to the discomfort of swelling, but honestly! I am not sure you could ever have gotten as bad as I am! Take the combination of the heat and humidity of the summer, the end of my pregnancy (when you are far more susceptible to swelling), the over 30 age factor (which apparently is a factor in edema--swelling), the first time mom thing (another factor), and you have a dangerous situation...
The only good thing I just learned is that (also according to Wikipedia) "The percentage of body weight that is water therefore varies inversely with body fat." That must mean that I have very little fat on my body! :) Ha!
Now, I took a picture of my ankles to prove this but then thought better of posting it publicly so...here is the view of my feet when I look straight down instead. :)
3 comments:
Now's when you need to be lounged on the couch, being waited on hand and foot, having your wonderful husband cater to your every need, getting feet massages, etc. The last couple weeks is the worst and then the due date comes... and goes...and then the agonizing wait of when?! Course you could just call it quits and say "induce me and let's meet this child"!
Sorry that you are swelling so bad!
You are so cute! I hope that you're feeling better today, and I can't wait to see you (and meet little Michael) soon!!
Post a Comment