As we undertake to keep up with the rest of the world and technology... we will attempt to keep our thoughts penned regularly for you here on our blog. Most importantly, we would like this to be a reflection of the love of our Faithful Saviour, Jesus Christ.

Wednesday, June 8, 2011

one easy, one hard

I have been meaning to blog about my last two books for months now (finished for several months), and while I now am in danger of appearing a copycat (sister and friend have both blogged about one of the two books in the past week), here they are.
The first--the easy... Prom and Prejudice by Elizabeth Eulberg. It is a teen reader recommended by a friend. I love anything and everything Pride and Prejudice so decided to try it out. It was well written and fun to guess how she would apply the well-loved tale to a modern setting. It was very well-done (even using many of the exact same wordings). I do feel like the ending was a bit weak, but the rest was loads of fun.
Now for the hard. One Thousand Gifts by Ann Voskamp. I decided to call it hard for two reasons. Most noticeably, it is a bit challenging to plow through at times since it is written with lots of flowery language in almost a poetry form at times. However, the real reason to call it hard is that I found it challenging spiritually and practically too. There were many things that made me think and reexamine my heart. The main premise of the book is learning gratitude in the everyday things of life (including the trials). One of the things that stuck with me is the idea of not saying God is gracious only when things "go right." As I know mentally, I need to practice saying it in the hard times too...when things don't go as planned. God is gracious simple to give us another breath. Overall, well worth picking through the difficult writing style for the nuggets of difficult but necessary truth!

1 comment:

Jaime said...

I've been reading One Thousand Gifts too. It is challenging me as well. And I, too, agree the writing style is very poetic and hard to read sometimes, but I'm still loving it. Maybe I'll get to finish this summer. Ha!