I was just thinking this morning about my three birthing experiences. All were quite different...and all (funny to think about this am for first time) mirror the personalities of my kids.
David's birth was a memorable time but full of challenges and lots of pain as well as sweet, sweet moments. Because he was the first, I was on the fence about an epidural or not. I put it off for quite a while and experienced true pain for a few hours before the eventual epidural did kick in. It was such a new experience that as hard as it was, it was still a bit exciting. Once I go the epidural, it was far less painful but still lots of minor irritations with a constant itching and body temperature regulation. And when David was born, he was turned sideways and had to be delivered by forceps which made for a longer than normal last-part of delivery.
Even so, my sweet son was a very difficult baby who cried most of the time early on. Still, it was exciting to know that he was the answer to so many prayers for so many years! Once he stopped crying, he settled down to be a true sweetheart, but definitely not without lots of little irritations and challenges -- often daily! Even with those irritations, He is my little gift from God whom I love!
Elizabeth's birth was more like a blur. She had a mind of her own and came so quickly that I was not able to have an epidural. The birth experience was barely manageable but the reward so great! And the euphoria I felt afterward was like no other. I was not drugged at all so felt such relief and joy all at once!
She has always been "quick." I think it is her extreme intelligence and that mind of her own that causes all the challenges. Life may not be easy raising this little one, but what reward when she tells me she loves me and gives me a huge hug. And one of her greatest assets one day will be her resolute spirit. I would never trade all the difficulties! God has great plans for this little girl.
By the third birth, I was ready to just sit back and enjoy the experience. We headed to the hospital with plenty of time (remembering previous experience) and I got the epidural early on. They gave me some benedryl to counteract any itchiness. I laughed and smiled the whole way through. It was just so easy. Even the pushing.
Anyone who has seen our third little one understands the comparisons here. She is so laid-back and cheerful most of the time. Impossible not to love her. What started out as our surprise child, has turned into our little surprised joy.
What a funny way to prepare me for these three kids!
No comments:
Post a Comment