I was watching David try to fit a puzzle piece in a new puzzle I bought him. It is a nice wooden puzzle with trucks for pieces. He has so much trouble with this puzzle, however. This got me to thinking "why?"
The puzzle is one where the piece only loosely fit into the piece openings. This means that there is wiggle room around the piece. While this might sound easier for a child, it actual was harder since it gave David no sure boundary to verify that the piece was in correctly.
Isn't this true of life in general? When we give our kids loose boundaries, thinking we are being kind, they only struggle with actually determining what the boundaries are. I know I too find it far easier to obey when there is no wiggle room. I may not like the restriction but what safety and reassurance there is in actualy knowing where our boundaries are. Thank the Lord that He has laid out clear boundaries for us in His word!
4 comments:
What a great thought! Thanks for sharing! Love that puzzle, too.
Wise thoughts, Margaret.
Jane
Great illustration of this "deep thought." Love it.
Yes! They feel more comfortable in situations when the expectations are so firm and consistent they know what to expect. Mike's students really freaked out the other day when their substitute refused to follow the band hall rules.
Post a Comment