As we undertake to keep up with the rest of the world and technology... we will attempt to keep our thoughts penned regularly for you here on our blog. Most importantly, we would like this to be a reflection of the love of our Faithful Saviour, Jesus Christ.

Wednesday, February 3, 2010

Mom, you're so old!

I am putting forth this list as a whimsical thing for David to look back on and see what life was like in the "old" days. :)
    I remember when...

  1. I used to sit and listen to records--like my favorite kid ones "Antsylvania" and "Marcy"
  2. We did not have internet connection--in fact, none in college (not even an email address until after graduating) and still dial-up our first 2 years of marriage.
  3. Life before owning a TV and VCR--we used to rent a VCR from the grocery store for years. (only got a DVD player about 5 years into marriage)
  4. All movies I watched when little were Beta tapes (pre-VHS) that my Grandmother had.
  5. We used to have to tune our TV by setting it to "U" (UHF) and then the channel.
  6. Very few people had computers at home (we did because of G-Daddy's love for them) and the mainframe computers at his office were each a 7 foot tall structure etc...
  7. The computer we had at home was a Dos prompt machine (what I used in high school too) and all computer games were 2 dimensional with lousy graphics.
  8. We used to mix songs and make cassettes for each other (I did this for your Daddy too) No CDs or MP3s.
  9. I saved all my files on 3 1/2" floppies (the 8" ones were mostly gone by high school). They could each hold 400 kB!
  10. In 2nd or 3rd grade jelly bracelets and necklaces and shoes were all the rage! (friendship bracelets) The shoes came back again right after college days.
  11. In middle school "jams" were the latest in fashion. And how about long t-shirts turned into dresses or tied in a t-shirt clip at the waist?
  12. No one had cell phones. My first cell phone was after college when your Daddy got me one since my parents required it if I was traveling to visit him across the city alone.
  13. The cell phone was basic (no phone, no internet, no texting, no music etc...) and we only had one to share between two of us until 2 years ago!
  14. No one had caller ID.
  15. Calling long distance was all done at exorbitant charge (no unlimited long distance) so rarely did we talk to far-away family.
  16. For many years growing up, we still had/used the old rotary phone (now only the throwback vintage phones have this).
  17. Fisher Price Little People were really "little" and wooden and cute.
  18. Most toys did not have batteries.
  19. You used to be allowed to wait with the traveler behind security at the airport (and security was much lighter)
  20. You were allowed 2 free checked suitcases of any weight and reasonable size.
  21. There was not a Walmart and a Starbucks on every corner.
  22. The money bills were not "Funny Money" with big heads on them.
  23. Gas was under $1/gallon.
  24. The public library still had a card catalog at least in Middle school. My high school had one too. And my college too. (perhaps the college was a bit behind :) ) My college also used microfiche machines to look at old material.
  25. Life before Netflix and other mail-out/online streaming video.
  26. Of course, with no internet, no one had blogs either--they were called physical diaries. :) And no Facebook, Google, etc...
  27. Everyone corresponded with "snail" mail...again, no internet and email.
  28. Secular school sports etc... were often planned around Wednesday "church" evening (at least in the Bible belt)
  29. Never on prime time (and often not on cable either) did you see an unmarried couple in bed--and no nudity at all. Still pretty unusual even after I graduated from college and it certainly wasn't until we had been married a couple of years that homosexuality in the media was EVER displayed!
  30. Unfortunately, we got married too early for digital photography. All our first trips together were taken with a film camera...imagine the cost of developing my 10-15 rolls of film! Our first digital camera was a couple of years into our marriage and it was 2.8 megapixels.
  31. Your father went to an all-male college until his last semester. I went to a school with curfew at 11 on weeknights, no shorts worn on campus (other than the gym) until after 4:00, no men allowed on the girl's dorm halls etc... (and my school was not that strict)
  32. Homeschooling was illegal. (which it might be again, but...) I was homeschooled off and on back when no one did it (illegal in MI when we lived there), and all homeschoolers wore elasticized sweat pants 3" too short. I think I turned out pretty normal! :)
  33. Most of NW Houston (where we live now) was treed and undeveloped. Willowbrook Mall was in the middle of nowhere!
  34. Life before microwaves--can you imagine?!
  35. Oh, yes, the old slide projector shows! I knew your Dad was the right one for me when I went to your grandparents house the first time and I was treated to a slide projector show...the same thing so many of my past boyfriends had been subject too at our house! (the only difference was that the Weyler slides were often more interesting as they were from the job in Antarctica etc...)
  36. We were taught in school that there were nine planets--including Pluto.
I am sure I have forgotten some things...anyone want to chirp up?

4 comments:

Jennifer said...

I'm wondering what is our age difference? I feel much older reading this, because a lot of it happened much earlier for me. Not everything though! Fun facts, last year I got my first upgrade on a digitial camera. Until last year, I was still using 2.8 mega pixels. We've only had a DVD player for about 4 years. And we had dial up until about 6 months ago!! Ha, Ha! Guess we were behind in some areas. Anyway, this year I'll be 35! I cannot believe it!!!! I really am getting old!

Jane said...

Margaret,
You should get your parents to write a list like this...and perhaps your grandmother. It would be wonderful for little David and his cousins to see the progression in the 20th and 21st century.

(I don't remember you guys wearing sweatpants...3" too short. But then, I think my memory is selective. :-)

Hugs,'
Jane

Anonymous said...

I remember in the 80's and early 90's when most everything but the grocery store and the like was closed on Sunday. At the very least they were closed Sunday morning.

We got bottled water from a dispenser at the grocery store by bringing our own gallon bottles (purchased for this use) and then getting a gallon dispensed for a quarter or something like that.

At the same time the Weyler's still owned a black and white tv with rabbit ears. I remember watching it through the static.

And all the TV stations (all 4 or 5) went to colored bars by midnight at the latest.

Records were all the rage and I'd get them from the library every week.

Did Mike ever tell you how when Dad was overseas he and Mom would make tapes to send to each other since they couldn't talk on the phone at all? I still remember the microphone that went with the stereo for that purpose.

Don't forget puff paints applied to teeshirts, shoes, hats, bags and pretty much anything in sight.

-Sarah

Anonymous said...

This was really neat to read! :) Took me down memory lane, even though I didn't grow up in this country - still, a lot of the things happened at about the same time for me too. Very cool! :)
Love K