As we undertake to keep up with the rest of the world and technology... we will attempt to keep our thoughts penned regularly for you here on our blog. Most importantly, we would like this to be a reflection of the love of our Faithful Saviour, Jesus Christ.

Tuesday, February 16, 2010

a modern-day miracle

Some may just laugh this off as a coincidence, but I want to give God the praise for His obvious hand in a minor situation yesterday.

We have had a possible, small gas leak below our cooktop for a couple of weeks. Several folks have come and tried the soap and water method (see where the bubbles appear to find the leak). One miniscule leak was spotted and fixed, and yet the smell still resided at times. We finally called the gas company yesterday and asked them to come out.

The gas man arrived and checked the meter and told me if there was a leak, that it was very small. Then, he took his sniffer and started testing the lines under the cooktop. As I expected all the lines were fine. He went down to the fitting on the copper line that came out of the house (and this is where it can get quite a bit costlier and a nuisance to fix). His sniffer, however, picked up a small leak right below the gas shut-off valve but above the floor. He started to tell me though that since it was in a place that he could not fix, he was going to be required to shut off the gas until it was fixed...possibly days. I know I should not be complaining, but it has been really cold at night (30s) and no heat (especially with a baby) would be miserable! Here is where God stepped in...

As he was telling me this policy, he soaped up the pipe. He didn't see any bubbles and then he went back to "sniffing" the same joint that had had a problem earlier. No alarm signal! He tried for 10 minutes to recreate the signal but couldn't. He even went out to check the meter and it was completely stationary. He came back in and sniffed again. I too "sniffed" with my nose and could not even smell the gas. I already suspected God was being gracious to us. We now knew where the possible leak was but would not have to have our heat cut off. This was confirmed when a couple of hours later, I opened the cabinet back up and could smell the gas again! What a blessing for a momentary lapse in the escaping gas!!! I know it was a little miracle from the Lord!

Update: Michael thinks he pinpointed and fixed the problem last night, but time will tell.

2 comments:

Mike and Suzi :) said...

I'm glad you appreciate the small things. I love it when I recognize the small things God does in our daily lives. It reminds me that I am loved and that he cares about my silly concerns that pale in comparison to so many other things.

Lindsay said...

I love how you gave credit to Him! He does so many "little things" for us everyday. And I bet He loves so much that you notice. :)