As we undertake to keep up with the rest of the world and technology... we will attempt to keep our thoughts penned regularly for you here on our blog. Most importantly, we would like this to be a reflection of the love of our Faithful Saviour, Jesus Christ.

Sunday, August 5, 2012

WARNING: the tale of an underage drinker

Michael had a 20 year high school reunion last night.  Since it happened to be nearby at Baker Street Pub and Grill we decided to get a babysitter for the two olders and take little Abigail with us.  The atmosphere was an initial shock because I had forgotten you were even allowed to smoke in restaurants...it was quite smokey although, it was far better in the private corner his classmates had reserved.  Michael and I joked on the way in since it boldly said on the door "We ID."  He said, "with the baby, we don't exactly look under 21" (or something to that effect).  The reunion started at 8:00...clearly not meant for couples who are already about to crash at that point from chasing little kids around all day. :) 

Michael had a nice time socializing with the 20 or so people who were there from his class of 44 people.  I too socialized a bit all while hearing "oohs" and "aahs" over the precious little baby.  Abigail slept quite nicely in my arms-despite the loud talking and even louder music.  We were the early ones and the party really started getting going around 9ish as more folks arrived.  (we had not even sat down to eat yet--maybe they never did?)  At 9:10, while I was listening in on Michael's conversation with some friends, I was tapped on the shoulder by someone.  The fellow was wearing the black shirt that I had noticed a few employees running around in. 
He said, "At 9:00 we close this place down to anyone under 21." 
I just said, "OK"--while thinking quickly in my head whether that comment applied to me and even if I look young, why he could think that I was under 21 yo. 
He continued, "that means I am going to have to ask you to leave soon." 
At this point, it dawned on me..."you mean because of the baby???" 
"Yes." 
With a sleeping one month old in my arms, I just found the whole situation so hilarious that I asked, "Are you serious?"
"Yes."

And so (even though we had not planned to stay much longer anyway), I felt badly for M who was forced to say some rushed goodbyes amidst consternation by everyone else too at the absurdness of the situation.  We left at 9:30ish.  My little A was an UNDERAGE rebel for 30 minutes of her little life. 

1 comment:

Anna said...

it seems a little unfair to have her photo stamped under 21...after all she is over 21 days old.