Then we made a detour to go back a mile to take a few pictures at a picturesque "finger" of Penobscot Bay.
Eventually, we showed up at the Weyler/Leed house. We had another very difficult moment. Ever since I had discovered a tick on Joshua's head the day before (and Sarah found two more in their room), we had been more aware of this new danger. That morning, I was holding a distraught Abigail on my lap in the car. I had just gotten her to calm down when I noticed a tick attached behind her ear. I didn't respond so well...especially when I found a second one crawling on the back of her neck. (And m-at the same time-found one crawling on his shirt.). Sarah came to the rescue and removed the tick from Abigail but commented that it was really attached. I quickly noticed that. She had a serious bite mark behind the ear. I know too much (I have two friends who have Lyme's disease with very serious symptoms) and knowing that Maine is a breeding ground for infected ticks, there were some moments of fear. We prayed and decided to just keep an eye on it. The very clear picture of the bite mark lasted for about 4-5 days but fortunately no swelling. We are not home-free yet, but everything looks ok. I will say it made us paranoid the rest of our time there. We did tick checks several times a day and felt a bit like monkeys who inspect each other for insects. We saw several more ticks but fortunately none attached.
After the tick scare, we spent quite a while debating back and forth about our afternoon activities. After some discussion, we opted to have a larger lunch and celebrate Richard and Colin's birthdays next. (and Sarah and Dad got a mention too)
(PS we also saw wild turkeys here on the front lawn!)
After lunch, Michael stayed at the house with the kids and I went with the Sr Weylers and Leeds to Radcliffe Pottery, a local, three-generation ceramics artisan. Cousin Sally is friends with the daughter of the family. In the past we have received several lovely gifts from aunt Sylvia made by this family, including our wedding present bowl. Once we arrived, the potter showed us his studio and the steps needed to turn the lump of raw clay into a plate and a vase. After helping the local economy, we went home again.
That evening was our visit to Susan and Paul's cabin. They were staying about 5 minutes away from Aunt Sylvia's in the opposite direction and right along the water. Meaning, at high tide, the house was on the water. At low tide, there was a bit of beach and rocks to explore. Fortunately for us, the tide was low at late afternoon, and we enjoyed scrambling over the rocks and exploring. At dusk the massive mosquitos came out and drove us inside. But not before we requested that Sarah take a few cheesy pictures of Michael and I in the sunset.
Dinner in the cabin was followed by a lightshow with the light sticks Susan had brought the kids.
We drove home exhausted but stopped long enough in the driveway to enjoy the pitch black and the incredible star display that God was putting on.
Our last night in the old farmhouse was the warmest thus far and only required the space heaters on half heat.
We woke in a rush the next morning to get ourselves packed, dressed and fed to go to church with Aunt Sylvia and Uncle Leigh. It wasn't until last minute that I decided to attend too with Abigail because with her tantrums all week, I just couldn't fathom having her sit with us in church. (a tiny church with no childcare). And even on the very picturesque drive to the church, I was second guessing my decision. About 5 minutes before we got there, I suggested we pray about it since Abigail was currently throwing yet another tantrum in the car. We prayed and had the opportunity to tell everyone afterward--when they commented on our quiet children-- that it was truly an answer to prayers!
We had been forewarned that it would be a small church but it was in fact, tiny. There were two other men in the congregation (one of whom was Uncle Leigh) and I think 6-7 women (one of whom was the pastor and one Aunt Sylvia). Our extended family of 11 tripled the normal size. David and Richard were asked if they wanted to be the altar boys and light the candles. Both took it very seriously and fortunately did not burn down the 200 year old historic church building. Then we had the "sermon" followed by communion. We took the juice in glass communion cups. The pastor then gave the benediction and remembered that she had forgotten the offering. (obviously very necessary in a church this size) She grabbed the plates and passed them to the first row (Grammy Weyler, Richard, Grandpa Weyler, and then David.) I heard a clinking and thought Grandpa must have given the boys some change to put in the plates. It was then that I realized what had happened! The whole church was fighting giggles...I even had tears come to my eyes in the mirth of the situation. David had put his glass communion cups in the offering plate thinking they were passing it around to pick them up! :) One of the funniest moments of the trip!
We ended the service. The altar boys did just as good a job snuffing the candles. And we went into the next room--the fellowship hall for snacks and juice. Meanwhile, Uncle Leigh took us on a tour of the church...up the secret halls to the little sunday school room upstairs. The tour ended with an opportunity by all to ring the bell in the steeple. It was a bit hard to pull for the littler kids but the bigger ones (wink wink) sure had a fun time. We were (only-half) joking that the community around might start gathering thinking there was an emergency of some sort.
Fortunately, we did not muster a crowd and headed out to grab a quick bite to eat at the Weyler/Leed home before heading out of town...
Extended family time was done...as was the farmhouse with all its secrets but the third chapter of our trip was about to begin...



No comments:
Post a Comment