My siblings had all made arrangements to go. I was the last one to book my tickets and by then, could not get a direct flight nor a flight that would come in any earlier than 11 pm. I knew my time there would be limited to basically two days (Friday and Saturday), but I felt it was important. Because I was leaving so late on Thursday, I only needed childcare for one day and my incredibly sweet sister-in-law offered to watch my three on top of her 4 kids sans husband for the day. Michael was able to take them to her house so he could attend a meeting at work and then pick them up early. We were all flying in from all over...and the weather that week did not cooperate. My brother's flight was cancelled and he had to come in the following day but was able to come into the in-town airport rather than one that was an hour and a half away. Flights were missing pilots or crew. My sister missed her connection in Denver but was able to get the later flight, despite being told there was no more room on that flight. Flights were cancelled and delayed. My brother missed his connection but was also able to get the later flight...had been told his only option that day was the further airport, but somehow they double booked him and he ended up with a ticket on overbooked flight later to Montrose too. 4/6 flights that afternoon out of Houston to Denver were either cancelled or seriously delayed. And all of this, put me on the same flight as them...if I were to make the flight. My flight was also delayed. I arrived in Denver 60 minutes late. No way I was going to make my connection. I was arriving when the next flight was leaving, but while in the air, my next flight was 30 minutes delayed. I was seated in last row next to the window, but thanks to the wise advice of my seat mates and their kindness in moving, I got up while the plane was still moving to make my way to the front to get out the door. I made it to first class before everyone else popped up. I took off my shoes and ran!!!! I made it as the doors were closing! We made it in to Montrose at about midnight. Better late than the next day! And I did not even miss the birthday festivities for my brother. They had to be delayed until the next day since he was on my late night flight after missing the earlier flight.
These instances are just one set of examples of how God provided this special time that weekend.
Friday was a time of sweet fellowship with my siblings. Without children and spouses. We have not been together like this since 1994. My mom spent the day cleaning out my grandmother's house, but we had the day free to wander. We spent a bit of time walking up to my uncle's house. What was to be a quick walk through the field turned into "fording" a stream! I took my shoes off and waded through hidden water while stepping on burrs, but Andrew ended up fully in the water with shoes and socks. The day was magnificent (pretty cool early on but lovely in the sun and DRY!) The flowers and scenery were so calming to the soul.
We met up with my brother Peter somewhere in there. And a profile picture prompted our ridiculous "Evolution of the Brown." This also prompted a rather heated discussion about evolution--which none of agree is Biblical as it is espoused.
There was also time for a dip of the toes in the absolutely frigid mountain water.
Then my dad took us to Black Canyon (we talked him into purchasing a lifetime senior pass to national parks since it was actually cheaper than a day pass--which became a joke for lots of reasons). Once there, we marveled in God's beauty and all watched a bit horrified as my daredevil youngest brother took selfie after selfie leaning out over the canyon. The rest of us were far more cautious. Getting too close just made my head spin. After a bit of a hike, we headed back to clean up for dinner.
(forgot the silly selfie stick which have come in immensely handy that day)
While everyone else hiked out a ways onto the rocks,
I stayed a safe distance taking pictures of chipmunks and lichen. :)
We came across a doe and her fawn on our way down the trail. I was about 3 feet from them!
Dinner that night was pleasant (although I thought I might fall asleep at the table--dinner started at 9 pm after late night and early morning). It was a treat to eat with not only my 3 siblings and mom and dad, but two sets of aunts and uncles and a cousin. I remarked that it was a shame that my grandmother was the one who brought it about, but she missed getting to enjoy it. No regret on her part, I am sure though! Meanwhile, she was enjoying her marriage supper with the lamb of God!
Revelation 19: 7“Let us rejoice and be glad and agive the glory to Him, for bthe marriage of the Lamb has come and His 1cbride has made herself ready.”
8 It was given to her to clothe herself in afine linen, bright and clean; for the fine linen is thebrighteous acts of the 1saints.
9 Then ahe * said to me, “bWrite, ‘cBlessed are those who are invited to the marriage supper of the Lamb.’ ” And he * said to me, “dThese are true words of God.”
The service once over, we headed back to the guest house for some more sweet family time. Dinner with my aunt and uncle K and then an early bedtime for an even earlier start the next morning. (and yet earlier than early for me--too bad my alarm clock was still on Central time-- :) )
The return flight was without mishap and in fact, I was able to catch an earlier flight and get home one hour earlier than anticipated. Woohoo!



















































1 comment:
Some great pictures.
Post a Comment