As we undertake to keep up with the rest of the world and technology... we will attempt to keep our thoughts penned regularly for you here on our blog. Most importantly, we would like this to be a reflection of the love of our Faithful Saviour, Jesus Christ.

Friday, March 18, 2016

sacrificial love: part 2

We were leaving church last Sunday.  A kid was getting in the car when his Sunday school papers blew out of his hand.  He chased after them.  And when they blew further, he chased further.  Fortunately, the lot was mostly empty at this point.  D asked, "Mom, why did he chase his papers?"  I was glad he asked because this showed some sign of what I have told them many times sinking in.  I reminded him of what we do if our papers blow out of our hands.  "We let them blow away, right?  Papers are unimportant.  Your lives are very important."  

We pulled out of the church lot.  I asked the girls about their lessons in class.  Both were talking about the Last Supper.  We talked about how it represents Christ's sacrifice on the cross for us.  Elizabeth said, "Abigail has Jesus in her heart."  I replied that I didn't think Abigail understood it well enough yet (a fact that is driven home every time I discuss it with A.  She understands bits and pieces but not enough).  We talked further about the meaning of the bread and the "juice."  I then asked David if his lesson was the same.  David, impatiently said, "Mom!  I have been trying to tell you my story!  Mom, if the papers fly out of Abigail's hands..." At this point, I honestly started to check out inwardly thinking he was changing the subject again.  
"Mom, if the papers fly out of Abigail's hands, then I...or Elizabeth...I should run in front of Abigail.  Because I would go to heaven!"  

Once more, out of the mouth of babes!  This little boy was willing to physically sacrifice on behalf of his sister Elizabeth once. Now he is willing to go so far as to even lay down his life for Abigail.  This image of true sacrificial love literally brought me to tears...and still chokes me up thinking about it.  My dear son understands but does not fear death.  He knows beyond a shadow of a doubt where he is going.   And yet, even so, this little boy is willing to sacrifice even his life so that his little sister who does not yet know Jesus might have life...and come to know eternal life one day.  

I John 3:16 This is how we know what love is: Jesus Christ laid down his life for us. And we ought to lay down our lives for our brothers and sisters.
John 15:13   Greater love has no one than this, that one lay down his life for his friends.

No comments: