As we undertake to keep up with the rest of the world and technology... we will attempt to keep our thoughts penned regularly for you here on our blog. Most importantly, we would like this to be a reflection of the love of our Faithful Saviour, Jesus Christ.

Wednesday, September 14, 2016

this year of books II

On to some kid's selections (***favorites)...


Raggedy Ann and Andy and the Camel with the Wrinkled Knees -- Johnny Gruelle


An old classic that has never gone out of style.  It is sweet and reminiscent of the Oz series.  Quite imaginative.


Seen and Not Heard --Katie May Green


The title first attracted me.  I have often commented on how the generations have changed from "seen and not heard."  I want to instill a bit of the old generation in my kids.  This book shows a bunch of portraits on the walls.  Perfect little boys and girls!  Albeit, the minute all are asleep, the children in the portraits are up to all sorts of mischief.  


The Beckoning Cat -- Koko Nishizuka


This tells the folkstory behind the little waving cat that you see in most oriental restaurants and shops.  The cat has always touched my sense of humor and now I appreciate him that much more now that I know his story.  My kids comment on the cat now too every time they see one.  


***What Can You Do with a Shoe? -- Beatrice Schenk de Regniers


I love Maurice Sendak (Where the Wild Things Are) so I was particularly thrilled to read this book with fun illustrations.  I was not prepared for the story to be as fun as the illustrations...albeit the illustrations tell the story as much as the words.  This book gives a lot of different things you can do with a shoe as the brother annoys his sister.  So funny and appropriate, I am already intending to purchase this one for our library.  


***The Fantastic Adventures of Baron Munchausen -- Heinz Janisch


Somewhere in the back of my mind, I was familiar with the Baron Munchausen.  He is a definite tall-taler who has done everything under the sun in a most fantastical way.  (at least he claims to have). The exaggeration in these stories is loads of fun and even younger kids will pick up on the fact that it is a tall tale.  


Raising Sweetness -- Diane Stanley


Sweetness and the other orphans have to find a way to get some good cooking and housekeeping.  Their adoptive sheriff "Pa" doesn't see a problem but is longin' for his long-lost love.  The book is fun to read with all the Texas drawl.  And things turn out all right in the end...


Operation Alphabet (Ministry of Letters) -- Al McCuish


Beautifully illustrated.  Looks like an old-fashioned book despite being a new release.  It is sort of a mystery with the alphabet letters involved.  Probably a lot of it would go over younger kids' heads but the pictures are lovely and it is a fun way to introduce the letters.  My eight year old could relate to the boy in the book!


***A Hat for Ivan -- Max Lucado


I am not a huge fan of Christian moral stories because they are often rather cheesy.  This one was incredibly poignant in a very well-written way.  It shows kids the importance of fitting the task that their Heavenly Father has suited for them.  All other "hats" are cumbersome.  And we are only called to take on God's plans for our life...not all the plans others make for us.  


***Horton and the Kwuggerbug and more Lost Stories  -- Dr Seuss


As a serious fan of Dr. Seuss books, this is yet another good one with familiar characters from his other books.


Snow White and the 77 Dwarfs -- Davide Cali


I almost hesitate to add this one.  It probably belongs under adult reads.  This book is a kid's book retelling the story of Snow White from her perspective.  But instead of a sweet kid's tale, it is a very humorous look at what it would be like to take care of some messy, noisy dwarfs day after day.  Probably better read alone by all the moms than a traditional read-aloud.  This book really touched my sense of humor though because it strikes a chord with the feeling of being exhausted and a bit overworked.  


More coming in another round.  

1 comment:

Amy and Doug Roberson said...

Aha! I knew I could count on you! I've needed new book recommendations. Your suggestions all look like they would be wonderful reads! I can't wait to look for these titles at my library! :)