As we undertake to keep up with the rest of the world and technology... we will attempt to keep our thoughts penned regularly for you here on our blog. Most importantly, we would like this to be a reflection of the love of our Faithful Saviour, Jesus Christ.

Wednesday, September 14, 2016

this year of books

I seem to not update nearly as frequently as I intended.  In fact, the last book update was almost 1.5 years ago!  I do want to keep track of the more fun books we have read.  The photos I took before returning books to the library will help rebuild this list.

I am ashamed to say that there are only 2-3 "adult" books among the list.  In fact, the last book I finished was a young adult book and it had been about a year since the previous book.  Again the excuses of flooding, homeschooling, three kids and life.  But really, it is just that I am too tired at nighttime to sit down and read.  And always seem to be busy with other things at every other time of day.

Here goes...

Tuesdays at the Castle - Elizabeth Day George


My most recent read.  A young adult book probably written for a 3rd or 4th grader but the subject is unusual enough it might not be grasped except by a slightly older child.  This had come recommended years ago by a friend.  I finally got around to reading it after checking out/renewing the book from the library for about 5 months.  It only took one afternoon.  This is a rather quirky, unusual and imaginative book.  It is an easy read.  The title comes from a castle that changes regularly-mostly on Tuesdays: adding and deleting rooms and aiding and abetting the people it wishes to rule by opening doors or windows or secret passages.  It is a lighter read in the vein of Harry Potter.  There are magicians, but it is less sinister.  There was a bit of a mystery that kept me guessing for much of it.  I did find the ending very abrupt and hurried.  But if you don't mind the magical elements, a fun read.


The Art of the Steal- Frank W. Abagnale


Written by the real-life man of "Catch Me If You Can."  He is a con artist turned con-artist catcher.  This book is written to enlighten the average man on various cons and how to avoid them.  I found it fascinating!  It is quite dated in parts (maybe written in 2002) but the premise remains and lots of fascinating information.


Leading Little Ones to God-- Marian M. Schoolland


What we have been using for our Bible devotional for a while.  This book was part of the Sonlight Curriculum and while I hadn't planned to purchase it, when I found it on clearance at Half Price Bookstore, I decided to pick it up.  I love how systematic they are in teaching kids about God's attributes, what he has done for us, and how we are to respond.  Each day is broken up into a short section that gives a scriptural basis for the day.  There is also Bible memory verses, hymns, prayers, comprehension questions etc...I have been really happy with this rather old-fashioned book.  And the kids like it and are getting it.


Lego Design- Jordan Schwartz


We are lego nuts at our house...adults and all.  This is one of the cooler Lego books that walks through the foundation of any lego building.  How to make certain shapes, how to get certain texture, etc... It also gives lots of ideas to build.


The Lego Book- DK publishing


Also for lego nuts.  This goes more into the history of lego, its various collections, the pieces, and minifigures.  It is a fascinating look at Lego through the years.


So sad to say, there was only one "real" adult book among the mix.  But...another post or two coming dedicated to other fun reads that the kids and I enjoyed over the past year and a half.

No comments: