We have known it was time for a change with M's job for a while. I have a very loyal husband though, and he was hesitant to go looking for a new job. After God clearly provided direction/even the blessing of management to go look, we knew it was time (just one of the many clear signs along this road).
Michael put out feelers primarily through LinkedIn and applying for a few very specific jobs. I admit to feeling a bit discouraged at the outset. I quickly realized how unlikely it would be in this economy to find another job in his narrow and specific industry. However, after a week, he had interviewed with several recruiters over the phone. Company #1 was in Dallas. We both were interested in seeing where this went with family nearby and the thought of moving to a lovely city (even with all its faults). He had several interviews with them before agreeing to a final face-to-face interview. They were very interested and our only concern was that the company was not exactly a heavyweight in the industry. Meanwhile, some random recruiter sent out a canvas email to LinkedIn members who had WV PE licenses asking if they or anyone they knew was interested in a position with a large oil and gas company. I knew M was not actively seeking another "engineering" job, but he decided to respond. Immediately, Company #2 set up a face-to-face interview. With all the other things on his plate, M did no preparation for the interview because it was merely to be a good practice for the other "serious" interviews later. He came home from his interview, however, only about 1 1/2 hours later telling me that they had offered him a job already. They offered him a position as principal engineer managing a group of 15 or so. When they asked base salary, M gave them his number (already including bonus structure he currently gets). They told him they really wanted him and would he seriously consider it if they bumped it up another 25%?! M came home a bit confused. The commute was pretty long, it was not in the forensic field, but they did make an attractive appeal with the salary and management opportunities. I was not certain and told M I would prefer he not take the job. All the while, M had been talking to Company #3. They were his first choice (very close commute, doing the identical to current job). They told him they wanted to hire him but he would have to interview face-to-face with the Columbus, OH office. They pushed the interview to happen on a Thursday. (Co. #2 was to make paper offer on Wed. and offices were closed on Fri). In the midst of our sick period, M had his face-to face with Co. #1. We discussed it on the way home on Monday, and M had some hesitancies. We were pretty certain that they would make an offer but thought the offer would be low. We prayed on the drive home that God would make it clear and (like it or not) He would shut all doors but the direction He wanted. The next morning (Tues) less than 12 hours later, they emailed and told us they wanted to go in a different direction. Wow! Sure thing with door slammed. As nice as it was to have clear direction, it made me a bit nervous. We did remember to thank the Lord though! Now, Co #2 actually got us the paper offer on Tuesday and requested an answer by Thur pm. Michael had not even had the opportunity to ask any questions because the interview all happened so quickly so we bought a few more days by asking the questions now. We begged until Monday morning. The offer was indeed generous and they even threw in an unexpected extra week of vacation because they valued his experience. And God was beginning to work on my heart to open me to this path if God so desired. M went to his interview on Thursday on Ohio. I was feeling torn because I so desired clear direction but was pretty certain we would be left with a difficult choice. Hadn't the manager in the office of Co#3 said they wanted Michael? Michael came home feeling happy with the interview. I was praying that M would represent himself accurately. Friday morning arrived. I got a voicemail on my google phone number with a less than accurate transcription. It said,
"Hi Daniel This is Gina corner and I'm calling you from the department instruction with your park ice tea. Hey we wanted to let you know that they have, gone with another applicant for the position that they were hiring four. But we definitely I want you to know you did a wonderful job. It was very hard decision, you did. Great on the task that were done. Daniel. You know if you're looking for something in the district be sure to watch that job board because you are my wonderful employees at the district so. Keep that in mind if you have any questions, or you want to call me back please do so. 7106 and again. It was wonderful meeting you, Daniel. Thank you. Bye bye."
I was puzzled as to how they got my google voice number and unsure about "Daniel" but thought perhaps a word ending in "D" and Michael had turned into Daniel. M interviewed with a girl named Jeanne and was awaiting the call. I was trembling as I dialed the number to actually listen to the message, but praising the Lord for clear direction despite not really wanting to hear "No!" The voicemail ironically was for a Daniel who had interviewed for a position and was rejected. I get maybe 1-2 google voice calls every 6 months and always for me. What are the odds that I would have a voicemail that day for the wrong number from someone with a similar name suggesting they had gone with another candidate? No! That was the Lord! He was preparing me for what was to come.
An hour later, Michael got a call telling him that they felt he was not a good match for Company #3. Ironically, the things they pointed to were indisputably and accurately Michael and were definitely only negatives in the Lord's sovereignty. Wow! Another and even more "sure thing" slammed in his face. We took a few minutes to talk things over and then tentatively overjoyed at God's clarity, we accepted the position with Company #2 (despite not needing to give an answer until Monday and them not even being in office until Monday).
30 minutes later, things were tossed in the air again. I knew my husband had misgivings about leaving the forensic world to go back into "just plain" engineering. He received a phone call from Company #4 whose recruiter he had talked to casually over a month before. It was in the forensic industry. The recruiter was told that he had already accepted a position (just only) but that M would be open to talking to him if it was serious until the final paperwork was completed. The recruiter told M that his was the only resume the VP had wanted to talk to. This firm is headquartered in Houston but the VP in Atlanta wanted to talk to M. M agreed to an interview on Monday morning. The VP called on Sunday afternoon instead...knowing the time crunch. M again mentioned his intention to follow through with the offer of Co#2, but the interview went well enough that Co#4 called early on Monday to say that they were rushing through an offer. M had told them what he needed to even consider the job...minimum salary, realtor fees, etc... Both of us were open to the move if there were no other factors in play. But I felt that M had given his word (perhaps hastily at my suggestion on Friday) and needed to follow through. I did not want my husband to be tempted to be less than honorable. I prayed that God would somehow make the offer either ridiculously low (what were those odds since they knew they had to woo him from other offer) or close the door with Co #2. Tuesday am he received the other offer. It was almost laughable. (in my case, I think I did laugh, for joy at seeing the Lord's clear direction once more). The offer was the bare minimum required for salary. Benefits were 2-3 times more expensive. Fewer vacation days. And huge dealbreaker, they would not reimburse for realtor fees. They also wanted him to sign a very stringent non-compete (which would require a move if he ever lost his job) and the whole thing was worded in such a way that they almost dared him to take the offer. It showed no sign of appreciation for him and, in fact, was worded,
"We want to start out on a positive note, Mr. Weyler, but..."I mean really? Who writes an offer that way? "But!"
Michael astutely wanted to wait to reject the offer until after the other offer's final details were finalized. However, when they dragged on, He decided he had to trust the Lord with the plan He had so clearly set out. Michael turned down this offer from Company #4. A few hours later, the Lord rewarded him by sorting out the last details. The saga was not complete yet, but the work in our hearts was. Company #4 then called him from the Houston office saying that as he had turned down the Atlanta office, Houston now had a shot. They pursued but my husband now had the confidence to say, "I am taking the position of Principal Engineer at Technip."
Whoever claims that God does not deal with the specifics is wrong! This is a testimony to that. I know there have been/will be plenty of other times that God has not/will not provide such clear direction, but for today, I shall rejoice in His answer! And thank Him for His clarity! (and all this took place within a period of about 2 weeks!)
No comments:
Post a Comment