He took up our pain and bore our suffering, yet we considered Him punished by God, stricken by Him, and afflicted. But He was pierced for our transgressions, He was crushed for our iniquities; the punishment that brought us peace was on Him, and by His wounds we are healed. (Isaiah 53:4-5)
We had gone to the church to play as a family. While there, E disobeyed. I told her she would receive a spanking once we got back home. We got back in the car and I reminded her of this. Then D played a game that we have played in the past. It is the "me too" game. If you remember past posts, A used to reply "Me!" enthusiastically and raise her hand in response to any question as long as the majority did the same...this including getting a spanking. So today D said, "Who wants a spanking? Me!" A, meanwhile, has gotten smarter and said, "Not me!" Michael asked if D wanted a spanking in place of E. Of course not! This got us to talking about how that is exactly what Jesus did for us, only far greater. He took our discipline upon himself.
When we got home, M got the spanking spoon out. Once again, M asked D if he wanted to get a spanking on behalf of E. M said, "You don't have to, but if you want to get a spanking, I will not give one to E." D thought about it a few minutes. Then, he responded very seriously and soberly. "Yes." I made sure he understood what he was saying. M told him to explain it to E. So D walked up to E and said, "Elizabeth, I love you. I am going to get a spanking so you don't have to for your sin. Just like Jesus did."
At this point I was sobbing! (and have a couple times since when I have related this story to others). D has had plenty of spankings, and I knew it would not hurt him, but somehow it just seemed so unfair and I was so touched by his love for his sister. Wow! For someone who has grown up knowing of Jesus' sacrifice all my life, I know I take this for granted. This was a new visual that really brought home his sacrifice and the depths of his love for us! Thank you to my very precious son!
Out of the mouth of babes...
No comments:
Post a Comment